Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I have never been one to put much effort into keeping up with my new year's resolutions.  Sure, every year I say "I want to do this this year..." but I have never really kept up with those thoughts.  It has never been a priority.

This year I am trying to change my path and get life organized.  I have a huge set of goals I need, not want, to accomplish this year.  I am also one of those people who needs to be held accountable for something in order to keep making it happen.  If it is just me trying to keep myself in line I make excuses and get lazy.  I also tend to really like checklists!  As I go on my New Year's adventure I will be posting my progress here.

So here they are.  A HUGE list, but things that I really want to accomplish this year.

1. Lose at least 50 pounds.  I have been overweight as long as I can remember.  I have been on and off diets and in various stages of caring but it is time to get myself healthy.  Realistically I need to lose more than 50 pounds, but for my short-term goal I'm going for 50.  I would like to work REALLY hard and lose the pounds by August.  A pretty mighty goal, but I'm going to hold myself to it.

2.  Set a budget and stick to it.  I really want to get my financial life in a good place.  I have never been very good at managing my finances.  I don't keep track of my spending and often times spend money on frivolous things I don't really need.  When I got married this summer things started to get really strained.  My husband moved to the town I live in and has just recently found full time work.  We have had a hard time balancing our spending with our income and that is just not how I want to live.

3. Get my teeth fixed.  I, by no means, have BAD teeth.  They are straight (with exception of one of my bottom front teeth that got pushed a bit by my wisdom teeth in my teens.  I am, however, not very good at taking care of my teeth.  I don't brush as often as I should and I don't go to the dentist regularly.  The last time I went to the dentist I had to have an emergency root canal.  I knew then that I have some cavities to take care of and I need to go back.  I just haven't because committing to that kind of money kind of scares me.  I need to get back on the train and really start taking care of myself.

4.  Get my car tuned up.  Same story with my teeth.  I am just BAD at keeping things that cost a lot of money on my priority list.  There are some things that I need to do with my car to get it back in to good shape.  Just general maintenance for the mileage I've got on the car.

5.  Run a 5K.  As part of my weight loss effort I have started the Couch to 5K program and I want to finish it and run an actual 5K.

6. Create a diet plan and stick to it.  I am pretty realistic about crazy fad diets.  I am planning to regulate my caloric intake and portion size and taper both down until I hit the healthy mark.  I know if I change too much too soon I will not succeed.  It's all about persistence!

7. Become more organized at work.  I don't think I can ever fully accomplish this one, but I would like to become better at creating and utilizing thorough lesson plans and keeping my room and office at school more neat and organized.

8. Get my husband prepped for the LSAT.  Becoming a lawyer is a dream of his.  At this point a lot of our future is hanging in the unknown.  If he makes it into law school we are going to kind of put everything on hold while he goes to school.  If he doesn't make it this year we want to try to have a baby.  Because of my profession (I teach) we are going to have to plan pretty carefully when we want to start a family and this means we need to be pregnant by the end of August.  The next LSAT is in June and from there we will decide which route we take.  That's a pretty good deadline for all of our goals and what we're shooting for right now.

9.  Start making a bigger dent in loans and credit cards.  Student loans, credit cards....  Need I say more?

10.  Move into a bigger place.  Right now hubs and I are crammed into my tiny two bedroom condo with two dogs, two cats and two fish.  This was the condo I had already filled to the brim before hubs moved in.  We really need a bigger place but we're not ready to buy right now so we're on the hunt for a bigger rental in our price range.


I have a lot of BIG stuff on my list but if we are really trying to send my hubby to law school or start a family they are things we absolutely need to get a handle on RIGHT NOW.  I am hoping to get started on this list right away and we'll see how we do!  Keep your fingers crossed that I can really become a grown up and get on the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment