Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tonsil Stones

WARNING!  THIS POST WILL BE GROSS!  PROCEED WITH CAUTION!



Ok, so I've been dealing with a sensitive issue for the past couple of weeks and it's time I come out with it...  I have developed Tonsil Stones.  Never heard of them?  There's a reason!  Up until pretty recently not even many doctors knew what they were.  From what I've read and understand of them, they are a build up of bacteria in the crypts (small tunnel like cavities) in your tonsils.  Never knew you had them?  Grab a flashlight and check it out.

Back in the beginning of February I started feeling like I had something stuck in my throat.  I pushed it away but about a week later I was really feeling it when I was brushing my teeth.  I turned on the flashlight on my phone and opened up wide and to my GREAT surprise, this is what I found.

 Now, that's not me, but that is what I saw!  Only slightly larger.  I've had issues with my throat and tonsils since I was a kid.  I initially thought it might be a puss pocket and I had some sort of throat infection.  I immediately grabbed a q-tip and dipped it in hydrogen peroxide and began poking at the yellow spot.  After a few minutes I loosened it up a bit and something that looked like this came out!

 I kept from throwing up OR freaking out (at this point I was convinced I had throat cancer!) and put that light back in my mouth and found more of these little buggers in my tonsil.  After about 10 minutes of cleaning them out, and getting almost 10 of theses things out, I was satisfied I had them all.  I IMMEDIATELY googled holes in my tonsils and came up with a wealth of information on Tonsil Stones.  Apparently these little guys SMELL AWFUL when you crush them (a pleasure I have not experienced) and can be a cause of bad breath.

After reading on them for about an hour and discovering that they are essentially harmless I was grossed out but satisfied I was done with that problem.  UNTIL A WEEK AGO.  I felt that feeling of something being stuck in my throat.  I opened up, turned on the light and sure enough...

So all week I've been checking and cleaning twice a day and pulling stuff out almost every time.  I've changed my toothpaste, started gargling, changing what I was eating in the morning but nothing is working.  I can't help but think these guys developing has been a result of the change in my diet since the beginning of the year.  WHO KNEW GETTING HEALTHY WOULD CAUSE ME SO MANY PROBLEMS! 
 
Unfortunately the only real solution to these guys I've found is to have your tonsils removed.  Probably a good idea for me anyway, considering my history, but from what I'm reading it's hard to find a doctor who will do the surgery on someone my age unless the tonsils are super infected.  It's apparently a RISKY surgery the older you get.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!  These things are driving me crazy and poking around on my tonsils so much is irritating them and making them bleed.  I know it could be worse, it could be something fatal, but MAN is it annoying.  Anyone out there have tonsil stones?  Have YOU found a way to get rid of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment