Sunday, January 8, 2012

Grwoing Pains

I think one of the hardest things about working out and starting a pretty strict exercise regiment is the growing pains that come with pushing your limits.

I have had a pretty severe issue with my middle(side) back for several months so I have been focusing on taking it easy on that area of my body and when it hurts I re-evaluate what I'm doing.  I've also been a stretching fool and have stretched for 10 to 15 minutes every night.

I knew I would have issues with my back, I prepared for it, and as accident prone as I am, I should have been prepared for MUCH more.

The other day I was working on the leg curl/extension machine and over did it a bit and ended up straining the back of my right knee.  I have been taking it easy on the knee, staying off the leg machines when doing weights, using only my left leg to push off the wall in the pool (it only really hurts when I bend it and put force on it when I'm bending) wearing a brace when running, taking Ibuprofen for the pain/inflammation and icing it before bed every night.  It's one of those things that is just going to take time to get better and it is by no means debilitating but it annoys me that I am constantly dealing with these kinds of "minor" injuries.

I have been very lucky in my life.  I have never broken a bone (knock wood.)  At least that we know of.  There may be a questionable experience with my nose (I went down a water slide head first on my stomach and put my head down to dive a little to soon) and another with my right big toe (I was messing around with a guard rifle and didn't catch it.  It bounced off the floor and hit my toe.  It caused a lot of bleeding under the nail and some swelling) but I never saw the doctor for either of these and they healed on their own within weeks.  I have, however, had more sprains, strains and pulls than I can count.  My mom jokes there's not a muscle in my body I haven't sprained.  I believe her.  I know a lot of my lower extremities can be blamed on my weight.  If I were at a healthy weight there wouldn't be as much stress on my joints... blah, blah, blah....  But it seems like I'm always doing something to myself.  I have totally kept the orthopedic brace business going over the years.  I own just about every one they've ever made. 

I know I need to give my body some time to adjust to my new activity level, it's just that my mind wants to do SO much more than my body is ready for.  I have to learn to be patient.  Hmmm, seems like there's a theme rolling here...  Maybe that needs to be added to my resolution list.

No comments:

Post a Comment